Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ireland upset England in Cricket World Cup 2011 league match

Minnows are known to cause a few surprises in World Cup Cricket matches and this time its no different. On Wednesday Ireland beat England by 3 wickets in a Group B match. After surprising Pakistan in the previous edition of the World Cup Ireland gave the same treatment to England. Kevin O'Brien smashed a powerful century to help Ireland win the match.

"When you are 111-5, I just said to myself, we could just potter around and get 220 off 50 overs for eight or nine and the game would have been pretty boring to watch and it wouldn't have been anything to watch on TV," a grinning O'Brien said, clutching his man of the match trophy.


"I just chanced my arm and said I'm going to be as positive as I can and I got a few away and didn't look back really."





Englands batting was good but the fielding and catching was pathetic. Have England blow away their chances of qualifying for the next stage of the ICC World Cup 2011? Only time will tell because they still have to face Bangldesh.
So tonight the Irish will party but the Englishmen would want to forget the day.

Brief scores: Ireland 329/7 in 49.1 overs (KO'Brien 113, Cusack 47; Swann 3-47) beat England 327 for 8 in 50 overs (Trott 92, Bell 81; Mooney 4-63) by 3 wickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment